Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Habits, Halloween & Hunter

So, I don't know why, but I just seem more organized since I've moved out here. My room is neat. My desk isn't cluttered. I don't have cups of water everywhere. My laundry pile isn't huge. I go to the gym regularly. I read and play guitar more. I write again.

Maybe because I have so little free time, I just utilize my time better and I have less time to be disorganized and messy.

Right now I'm just figuring out what I want to dress up as for Halloween as I do have a party coming up.

For some reason Ichabod Crane came to my head today. I'm thinking of going with a more classical Halloween theme. I like costumes that are simple and I especially like costumes that do not require face paint or props. I don't like masks or things that cover my face either. Basically, I like something I can be comfortable in all night. I'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Currently, I'm reading Fear and Loathing in America by Hunter S. Thompson. It's his second volume of letters and essays. Man, I wish journalism was still like that. All those wild and crazy adventures on someone else's dime. I want to travel all over and write crazy things. You'd probably have to figure out a source of income as you travel, though. I read the other day about a guy who is trying 50 jobs in 50 weeks. I don't remember all the details.

If you were confined to just the United States, though...

Cheap Motel ( I dunno $50/day?): 50x365 = $18,250
Gas (Considering the crazy travel per week): 150x52=$7,800
Food: 100*52= $5,200
Entertainment: 60*52= $3,120

Total money to freeload and travel for a whole year (excluding taxes and emergency funds): $34,370.

So probably you need more like $45K-60K to "comfortably" do a Hunter S. Thompson for a whole year. Unless you save up and do not plan to work as you travel, then you don't need to worry about taxes. I think? Otherwise, plan like crazy.

No comments: