Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Six Things

As requested by my favorite Frenchie, here are six things you may or may not know about me:

1) I used to play a lot of sports: Yes, surprise, surprise. The most unathletic guy ever played on some teams in junior high and high school. Now, wait, I didn't say I was good at them. I'm just saying that I played them. In junior high, I was on my school's basketball, soccer, baseball and flag football teams. In high school, I was on the track team for a year. Also, I was in the city swim team for about four years. However, probably the most embarrassing thing I did was gymnastics in middle school. Yes, I did cartwheels, handstands, headstands, roundoffs, etc. I also did karate at this time. Don't ask me to try any of these things now, though. I pull something every time.

2) I performed theater in Scotland: Back in 2003, I scored a spot in my high school's play, "The Se7en Ages of Bob." The play was pretty damn good and it was written by our improv team moderator. The play was 40% improvised with suggestions for scenes coming from the audience. Our theater group was then good enough to be invited to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland. I hung out there for two weeks seeing international theater while performing on the Royal Mile. Afterward, I joined my school's improv group, "Sanguine Humours," and had a blast. FYI: You might see me on stage again soon. I am considering enrollment at the UCB theater in January.

3) I'd like to be a professional writer: I've been working on some short stories that I'm thinking about sending to a few magazines. I still haven't really figured out my whole life yet, so I don't know if I'll be a writer or something else. Right now, I just seem to work in production.

4) I don't have any tonsils: When I was about four or five, my parents noticed that I had a really strange sleeping pattern. Breathing... and then not breathing. The doctors said the tonsils had to come out and that was that. I still snore, though. ;-)

5) I ran for president in high school: I'm not sure that I was too serious about it when I did this. It was sort of a fun distraction for me at the time and I figured if I got elected, I'd do a good job anyway. Only problem was, I didn't campaign too much. There was a candidate forum that only 200 people showed up to. I took out my guitar and played a ridiculous song about our school's parking problems and code of conduct. I got a few good laughs out of that. I also posted ridiculous fliers of myself in track gear with the goofy campaign slogan: "I don't run with scissors. I run for President." I didn't win, but the guy who did liked me enough that he came up to me after the election and asked me to be his adviser. So, I did that instead.

6) I was in a lame high school rock band: Yes, I was the lead singer and rhythm guitar player of "Panda Mona," a progressive metal band with songs about, um, what were the songs about? British mythology? Ancient Rome? Politics? The month of October? I don't know, but whatever I wrote, it was incredibly pretentious and stupid. Likewise, the band argued every two weeks about what the band's name should be. I think we went under four or five different names and every time the names got worse. Also, the bass player kept firing everyone. Hell, even I got fired! My firing was amazing, though. I got fired through the band's Web site. Looking back on it, it was all pretty funny.

2 comments:

Monique Geisler said...

hahaha gymnastics! And you forgot to tag three people in yours, punk.

Nick said...

Ohhhhhh, close enough.