Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Saturn That Got Away

I was this close... but the dealership I went to (my mistake for trying to buy a Saturn from a non-Saturn dealership) tried to completely empty my wallet by making me pay $3,000 more than the asking price in interest.

Then the guy tells me that I'm "overthinking it" and "back-peddling." This went on for quite awhile and it felt like he was trying really hard to guilt me into paying $3,000 more than was necessary.

So, I looked at him and without raising my voice or yelling, I said (and this is paraphrased because obviously I don't remember every single word):

"You've just told me that since I am a first time buyer and I do not have an extensive credit history, it's risky for your dealership to finance me. In other words: You're worried that I won't be able to pay off this car at this price... and you're solution to this is to charge me $3,000 on top of that through interest. So, if you don't think I'm going to be able pay the original price, why do you think I'll be able to pay this new price with $3,000 on top? Tell me, am I overthinking that?

No, I don't think so because that doesn't make sense! I have been told that any interest rate above 6% is kind of a rip off. The rate you came to me with at the beginning of this bargaining process was 17%. I'm not trying to get in your face here, but I also know that we're in a recession and you're not really selling too many cars right now. You asked me what I want. I want to pay the price that this car is worth."

Then we parted ways and as I was going to my car, the assistant came up and said, "What about 10%?"

Thanks, but no thanks.

2 comments:

David Shiriwastaw said...

Awesome!

Batalla said...

So I take it you didn't get the car? That's probably a result of Jim Varney's ghost cursing the Cerritos area for using his Ernest P. Worrell image postmortem in Cerritos Auto Square commercials.