Friday, August 1, 2008

VP Madness

You guys hate it when I talk about politics. I know. It's boring. However, I find it fun to hypothesize who is going to be VP. So, I'll try and make it fun for you. We'll do a pool. Winner gets $20 bucks or the equivalent.

Let's begin. Who's going to be Obama's VP? According to AP, Obama is picking between these three guys:

  • Gov. Tim Kaine (VA): Pretty much a newcomer, but he claims he's Obama's #1 choice. (Note: That story focuses on how he endorsed Lieberman for Pres in 2004. Interesting.) What's his deal? He is Catholic and has a history with the same social justice issues that Obama cares about, even spending time doing work in Honduras with the Jesuits during the 80s. He's all about fair housing, gun control, restricting the death penalty, blah blah blah. Yet, he has some weird positions. He claims he goes by his faith and that on religious grounds he is against gay marriage and abortion. Still, he says he would never ban either because he believes those are for the people to decide. Eh, have fun explaining that during the debates.
My Verdict: There's only one reason, I think, that you'd mouth off to the press about being on Obama's shortlist--you aren't really as far up on that list as you'd like so you need some public support to put pressure on Obama's team. Also, strategically, I don't know how important Virginia is or if he will help with those 11% who claim they haven't made up their minds. Undecided voters are interesting. I suspect that most of them vote Republican, but are just embarrassed to admit it. Why? If I had to guess (and that's what I'm doing), they are socially liberal, but fiscally conservative.

  • Sen. Evan Bayh (IN): A former Gov. of Indiana, he has the record of having the largest win of any Dem in that state. Supports higher education and fiscal responsibility (BS words, but hey he wastes less money). Dude has worked a lot with health care and has some foreign policy experience having dealt with committees related to Armed Forces and Intelligence. He's one of the guys who pushed for Rumsfeld's resignation. He also says we're wasting time with our plans to stomp illegal immigration. What his plan for that is, I'm not sure. Yet, he also has sat on committees that deal with international trade and small businesses. Additionally, he has put a lot off focus on dealing with Iran.
My Verdict: He is very good for strategy. He comes from a state that you need to win. I am told that no one has ever won the presidency without winning Indiana. Also, it helps that he is so experienced with foreign policy. Something Obama is not.

  • Sen. Joe Biden (DE): God, this guy is a lot of fun. He's a Roman Catholic that mouths off and is strong on his positions. In 2006, I actually said I wanted this guy to be Pres. He has been in DC since the 70s, he is moderate when he needs to be, he plays hardball, and has TONS of foreign policy (Chairman of Comm. on Foreign Relations, hello?). I could go on about this guy but...
My Verdict: He reminds too many people of Howard Dean and the fact that he's been in DC for so long plays against Obama's message of change and being an outsider. Also, Delaware?

So, who will Obama pick?: My guess is Bayh. Strategically perfect and has all the foreign experience you could want. I'd like to see Biden, but that won't help. If not any of these, I'd like to see Jim Webb. He was talked about as a choice for so long, but then he was missing on the list this week. The dude is a Dem who was Secretary of the Navy under Reagan. That sounds like a winning combo to me.

As for McCain? I dunno enough about his choices, but I'd guess Romney. He's the fiscal conservative undecided voters can love.

No comments: